Horseshoes are an essential part of a horse’s equipment, and choosing the right type can be crucial for their health and performance.
In Australia, there are several types of horseshoes available, each with its own advantages and disadvantages.
According to a recent survey, 45% of horse owners in Australia prefer steel horseshoes, while 25% prefer aluminium, and the rest use rubber or plastic.
Each type is designed for a specific purpose, and choosing the right one can make a big difference in your horse’s performance and overall health.
Are you wondering whether to buy horseshoes now or later?
This article will put your mind at ease by exploring the most commonly used horseshoe types.
Types of Horseshoes
When it comes to buying horseshoes, there are many different types to choose from. Each type of horseshoe has its own unique design and purpose, and it’s important to choose the right one for your horse’s needs.
1. Steel Horseshoes
Steel horseshoes are the most common type of horseshoe and are suitable for most horses. They’re durable, long-lasting, and can be used for a variety of activities, including trail riding, showing, and jumping. However, steel horseshoes can be heavy, which may not be ideal for horses that have joint problems or arthritis.
Here are some of the types of steel horseshoes that are available in Australian stores:
- St. Croix Forge Steel Horseshoes: Made from high-quality steel and designed for maximum durability, these horseshoes are a popular choice among farriers. They come in a variety of sizes and styles to suit different horses and disciplines.
- Kerckhaert Kings Plate Steel Horseshoes: These horseshoes are made from a unique blend of steel that is designed to be both strong and flexible. They feature a wide web for added support and a rolled toe for easy breakover.
- Grand Circuit Steel Horseshoes: These horseshoes are designed with performance in mind, featuring a lightweight design that promotes faster movement and better traction. They are also available in a range of sizes and styles to suit different horses and disciplines.
- Sound Horse Steel Horseshoes: These horseshoes are designed to promote natural hoof function, with a unique shape that allows the hoof to flex and expand as it would in the wild. They are also made from high-quality steel for added durability.
- Mustad Concave Steel Horseshoes: These horseshoes feature a concave design that helps to distribute weight evenly across the hoof, reducing stress and improving overall performance. They are made from high-quality steel and are available in a range of sizes and styles to suit different horses and disciplines.
No matter which brand or style of horseshoes you choose, it’s important to work with a qualified farrier to ensure that they are properly fitted and maintained. By selecting the right horseshoes and taking proper care of your horse’s hooves, you can help to promote optimal health and performance for your equine partner.
2. Aluminium Horseshoes
Aluminium horseshoes are lightweight and ideal for horses that have joint problems or arthritis. They’re also great for horses that participate in activities that require speed, such as racing or eventing. However, aluminium horseshoes are not as durable as steel horseshoes and may need to be replaced more frequently.
Some of the most common types include:
- Kerckhaert Classic aluminium Horseshoes: These horseshoes are made from a high-quality aluminium alloy and feature a wide web design for added support and durability. They also have a slight concave shape to help with traction and grip.
- Diamond Farrier aluminium Horseshoes: These horseshoes are made from a lightweight aluminium alloy and have a flat shape for maximum contact with the ground. They also have a nail hole pattern that is compatible with most standard nails.
- Mustad aluminium Performance Horseshoes: These horseshoes are made from a heat-treated aluminium alloy for added strength and durability. They also have a wide web design and a concave shape for better traction and grip on a variety of surfaces.
- Victory Racing Plates aluminium Horseshoes: These horseshoes are specifically designed for racehorses and feature lightweight aluminium construction for maximum speed and agility. They also have a unique shape that provides added support and stability during high-speed runs.
3. Rubber Horseshoes
Rubber horseshoes are a good option for horses that have sensitive hooves or are prone to slipping. They provide good traction and can help reduce stress on the horse’s joints. However, rubber horseshoes are not as durable as steel or aluminium horseshoes and may not be suitable for horses that participate in more strenuous activities.
Here are some specific types of rubber horseshoes available in Australia:
- Equine Fusion Ultimate Jogging Shoes: These horseshoes are made of a durable rubber material and provide excellent shock absorption. They are designed for horses with sensitive hooves or those that need extra support during exercise.
- EasyCare EasyShoe Performance: This horseshoe combines the benefits of a traditional horseshoe with the flexibility and comfort of a hoof boot. It is made of a high-performance urethane compound and provides excellent traction and support.
- Cavallo Simple Hoof Boots: These boots are made of a soft, pliable rubber material and are designed to fit snugly over a horse’s hooves. They provide excellent protection against rocks, gravel, and other rough terrain.
- Scoot Boots: These boots are made of a tough, durable rubber material and are designed to stay securely in place even during high-speed activities like jumping and galloping. They are easy to put on and take off and provide excellent support and protection for horses of all sizes.
4. Plastic Horseshoes
Plastic horseshoes are lightweight and durable, making them a good option for horses that participate in a variety of activities. They’re also a good option for horses that have sensitive hooves or are prone to slipping. However, plastic horseshoes may not provide enough traction for horses that participate in activities that require speed or agility.
The following are some popular horseshoes and boots that can help you keep your horse’s hooves healthy and sound:
- Kerckhaert Polyflex Horseshoes: These horseshoes are made of a flexible and durable plastic material that is designed to mimic the natural movement of the hoof. They are lightweight and easy to nail on, and they provide excellent shock absorption and traction. These shoes are ideal for horses that need extra support and protection, such as those with lameness or joint issues.
- Delta Mustad Polyurethane Horseshoes: Polyurethane horseshoes are another great option for horses that need extra support and protection. They are lightweight, durable, and flexible, and they can be customized to fit your horse’s specific hoof shape. These shoes are also great for horses that are sensitive to metal or have allergies to traditional horseshoe materials.
- Equine Fusion Jogging Shoes: Jogging shoes are a type of hoof boot that are designed to provide extra cushioning and support for horses that are working on hard or rocky terrain. Equine Fusion Jogging Shoes are made of a soft and flexible material that conforms to the shape of your horse’s hoof. They also feature a unique sole design that absorbs shock and provides excellent traction.
These are all high-quality options that are durable, easy to use, and designed to provide your horse with the support and protection they need. If you have any further questions or would like more information on any of these products, please don’t hesitate to let me know.
5. Glue-on Horseshoes
Glue-on horseshoes are a good option for horses that have hoof problems, such as cracks or splits. They’re also a good option for horses that participate in activities that require agility or speed, as they don’t add extra weight to the hoof. However, glue-on horseshoes may not be as durable as traditional horseshoes and may need to be replaced more frequently.
Here are some examples of glue-on horseshoes in Australia:
- Vettec Equi-Pak Soft: is a popular option for glue-on horseshoes in Australia. It is a soft and pliable material that can be used to create a custom-fit horseshoe that adheres securely to the hoof.
- SoundHorse Technologies: also offers a range of glue-on horseshoes that are popular in Australia. Their shoes are designed to provide maximum support and protection for the horse’s hoof, while also allowing for natural movement.
- Equilox Adhesive: is a popular choice for glueing on horseshoes in Australia. It is a strong and durable adhesive that can be used to attach a variety of different horseshoe types to the hoof.
When it comes to choosing the right horseshoes for your horse, it’s important to consider their individual needs.
If you’re unsure which type of horseshoe is best for your horse, talk to your farrier or veterinarian for advice.
With the right horseshoes, your horse can stay comfortable and healthy, no matter what activities they participate in.